We made a follow up for the eyeglasses of my husband, we found out that it would be available on July 4 yet. So I texted them that it should not be, we had been promised to have it ready this week, my husband will fly on July 1 and there’s no way he can still wait for July 4. So I told them we will just make a refund if that’s the case. The Doctor then told me that we still have an option and that is to buy the cheaper lense with the same quality, it is advantage to us though since we are in a tight budget already. So any time this week they will gonna call us to pick up his glasses. Daddy is happy to have his new eyeglasses arriving soon.